Friday, June 10, 2011

Keep the FUN in your food and fitness!


For the past couple of years the one recurring trend I have noticed in the health and fitness world is how obsessed people are about their food intake and fitness routines. 
It is almost impossible to have a conversation with a friend or family member that does shift over to their new diet and exercise routine.  Although I do not mind the topic I am a bit put off by their serious and intense tone.  Clearly these individuals have taken the fun out of their healthy lifestyle and seemingly out of their lives.
When I adopted a healthier lifestyle I knew that the only way I would be successful was if I enjoyed the journey.  I never once consumed a half grapefruit for breakfast.  I never ate the boiled chicken breast or the tasteless watery tuna fish on a piece of dry wheat toast.  Instead I dumped all the high calorie and low nutritional condiments and replaced them with olive oil, balsamic vinegars and introduced fresh herbs.  I gave all of my favorite foods an upgrade by substituting the bad ingredients with healthier ones.  Even my desserts got a make-over and the ones too decadent to tamper with I simply decided I’d enjoy occasionally while limiting the serving.
I embraced my exercise routine as well.  While many people prefer going to the gym, I found I was more inspired and motivated by being outdoors.  I began walking and eventually became a runner.  Today I run daily and strength train 3 times a week.
What has kept me on track all these years is that I never once compromised my happiness in order to change my health and body.  I worked within my comfort zone to strike a balance between healthy and delicious eating as well as fun and fulfilling exercise.
A healthy lifestyle should not be a fad or trend, it should be a lifetime commitment, one that you can stick with especially if you are enjoying it and having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment