Saturday, November 5, 2011

Bringing back the FUN to your workout!

At a dinner party recently I hit upon a conversation with a friend that is an avid runner.  Lately I had been finding it a bit challenging to stay on track with my running schedule.  After discussing it for a few minutes he paused and asked me if I was having fun.  Faced with that question I soon realized that my favorite exercise felt more like a chore lately.  Instead of looking forward to my morning run, I had begun to procrastinate before finally lacing up and heading out.  The fun was gone. 
That night I revisited my running routine and realized it had been 2 years since I had changed my route.  At least that long since I had changed out the music in my iShuffle.  It was clear that my running routine was in a rut.  The next day I decided I needed to recharge my routine.  I visited the USA Track and Field website where they will map a walking, biking or running route for you at http://www.usatf.org/routes/.  Within minute I had two new routes mapped out so that I could alternate them every other day.  The next step was to update my music library.  I dumped the old and replaced them with fresh and high energy songs. 
Within days my enthusiasm had returned along with a big dose of fun. 
Taking ourselves and our exercise routines for granted is a quick way to lose motivation and momentum.  Stay on track and keep the fun in your workout by trying some of these tips:
  • Update your workout wardrobe.  Invest in performance fabrics and well fitting shoes and clothes.  Dressing for success is key.
  • Revamp your workout routine.  If you are tired of your spin class, trade it out or alternate it with a kickboxing class.  Or give yourself a week where you sample several of the routines available to you and adopt the ones you like the most.
  • Have fun!  Remind yourself that exercise is not just about physical health and wellness, it is also a way to stimulate your mind and bring a positive attitude and energy into your daily life!

No comments:

Post a Comment