Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Vitamins and supplements!

As a child I was terribly iron deficient and so I was constantly being given iron supplements.  I hated them. My mother would give them to me and I would pretend to take it and then stash it or through it out.  To her credit, she also gave me lots of iron rich foods, and I believe that is what eventually cured my deficiency.  Once I became responsible for my own food intake and health, I was always aware of my tendency to be iron deficient and so, I made efforts to eat spinach, broccoli, meats, fish, etc.  In other words, I 'managed it' with foods instead of supplements.  My dislike for vitamins remains to this day and now, I feel a bit validated.  The American Dietetic Association suggest you get your vitamins from food and not vitamins.  The only time doctors recommend that you use vitamins is for a specific deficiency such as bone-loss.  And even then, they suggest that you visit a doctor or pharmacist to get the exact dosage for your particular needs.

http://www.fooducate.com/blog/2009/12/11/dietitians-recommend-get-vitamins-from-food-not-supplements/

Runners have a variety of eating habits.  Some of us are insanely healthy, others run in order to be insanely unhealthy, some of us meet somewhere in the middle, while others just try to strike a balance.  What I do know is that whenever possible, I think it's just a wise idea to eat your fruits and veggies instead of popping them in pill form.  I refuse to use the excuse that I'm just too busy to eat right - my health and well being is worth whatever time it takes to peel a banana or chop a tomato - or lace up!

Run how you want. (:)

No comments:

Post a Comment